Saturday, February 23, 2008

Black Widows



We arrived home after two weeks of camp to find that a family of black widows invaded our house. There were seven in all, four in our garage and three in the front patio. If you double clic on the picture, you should be able to enlarge the photo so you can see the red spot. The yellow blog is the crushed egg sac. Jon played with the spider before killing it. We couldn't get a good picture of it when it was alive.



We even saw eleven egg sacs. Hopefully we killed them in time.



It is true. The female is bigger and kills the male. I found this a few days later in a small metal area in our garage as I was closing the garage door. I am very careful now where I put my hands and anytime I am in the garage, I am looking for possible spiders.

4 comments:

Molly said...

May I just say, YUCK!! I am thankful for God's protection and that you found them before they found you!

Lynnea said...

EWWWWW!!! And I thought the cockroach that crawled across the keyboard when I was there was bad enough...this would put me on the next plane for sure!!:-)

ME Wires said...

Julie, So glad that you have subscribed to GREAT INSURANCE PROTECTION from on HIGH. I don't like creepy-crawly things. Praying much for your family and the church association family in light of the accident.
Had 60 degree weather Sat and Sun and then 3-5 inches of snow and ice in the night. (March 3)
Take care
much love
Mary Ellen

Anonymous said...

um GROSS! and amen to Molly's comment.